As a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, and, perhaps, the preeminent divorce advisor in the industry, Michelle Smith has helped hundreds of women through the financial maze of divorce. But she’s even more qualified to advise on divorce because she’s gone through it herself—and with a child with special needs no less.
In this episode, Diana Britton, managing editor of WealthManagement.com, is joined by Michelle Smith, Certified Divorce Financial Analyst and CEO of Source Financial Advisors, an RIA in New York City. Michelle discusses her own experience with divorce, co-parenting a special needs child, learning to ask for help, and more.
Michelle received her son’s Down syndrome diagnosis three minutes after he was born. Although she didn’t feel equipped to parent a child with special needs, she instantly flipped into “I’ve got this” mode. But she was petrified when she saw her husband shut down. In that moment, she knew in her gut that her marriage was over.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How the birth of her son sparked a realization about her marriage
- Why it was important for her to take a step back during the divorce process
- About her experience co-parenting a special needs child
- How she ultimately learned to ask for help from her friends and family
- Why Michelle and her friends decided to start their own school in New York City
- Her advice for people going through divorce: how to mediate safely and why you should reconsider litigating
- How COVID-19 could impact divorces
- And more
Listen now to hear Michelle’s experience going through the divorce process and parenting her special needs son.